The goal for this project was to fully update the home and add features for aesthetics and livability. Twenty years earlier we had added to this home on two floors, and remodeled some of the rooms. At that time, this couple was young and, with limited resources, needed to reduce the scope of work to meet their budget. Now more established, they wanted to do some of the things they had set aside and upgrade other parts of the house that had been on the “hoped for” list for a long time.
The homeowners had ideas and inspiration photos. They employed an architect, Susan Haifleigh, of Diamonte Design, to help plan the functionality of the Kitchen and other areas. Interior designer Leah Raitt, of Leah Raitt Design, was consulted on style, materials, colors, and more.
Jim Acheson of Acheson Builders Inc. was tasked with synthesizing the ideas into concrete buildable drawings with all the details and proportions, and then getting the work done. Acheson Builders repaired, replaced, reconfigured, redecorated parts of every room and the house as a whole — from lowering a large section of the basement floor, to adding decorative cresting on the peaks of the roof. Some rooms and parts of the home had a total makeover, including a completely gutted and remodeled kitchen.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Architect: Susan Haifleigh of Diamonte Design
- Interior Design: Leah Raitt of Leah Raitt Design
- Metal work: SmithShop of Detroit
- Curtains: Karen Rea of Karen Rea Designs
- Front walk: Michigan Hardscapes
- Unlacquered Brass
- special Forbes & Lomax switches from England
- Classic Brass Chautaqua Collection
- Merit Metal (92815) Forged cupboard turn 1 5/8″ X 2 5/16″
- polished brass unlacquered box latches on sink base cabinet and refrigerator cabinet doors
Home Office, Laundry, Powder Room, and Mud Room Flooring
- Rusticated Marble
- Farrow and Ball paint (having unique colors) from England
- Kitchen cabinets are Inchyra Blue
- Grass cloth on Master Bedroom walls
- Built from clear black walnut
- CertainTeed Grand Manor, and CertainTeed Carriage House shingles in Black Pearl color in pattern shown on drawing
- Hot water heating in mudset tile floors (Office area, mudroom, powder room, laundry room)
- Forbes and Lomax unlacquered brass single pole dimmer switch